Social media is constantly evolving. The various social media platforms we use every day continue to evolve on a daily basis. I have pulled together a few fun facts about social media that you may or may not know.
Active Users in Q3 2017:
- Facebook: The number of Facebook users topped the 2 billion mark, it is by far the largest Social Media network on the internet. This is based on the number of users who log in to their account over a 30 day period.
- Instagram: Instagram boasts 800 million users worldwide.
- Twitter: The number of active Twitter users is 330 million people, worldwide.
Who Owns What?
- Facebook owns Facebook Messenger. They also own Instagram and Whatsapp, and quite a few others.
- Google owns YouTube, Google+ and Blogger, amongst others.
- Twitter is owned by a consortium of shareholders.
- Microsoft owns LinkedIn and Skype
- Pinterest is owned by Cold Brew Labs which is run by two of the three founders of Pinterest, Ben Silbermann and Paul Sciarra
- Tumblr is owned by Oath Inc.
- SnapChat is owned by Snap Inc.
Other Random Facts:
- 70% of people access Facebook via their mobile phone. It is essential that your site is mobile responsive!
- There are about 350,000 Tweets a minute, worldwide
- More than 80% of online content is classed as ‘User Generated Content’ or UGC! This post is ‘content’. I, the user, generated it. The selfie you took and uploaded to Instagram, is UGC! The post you put on Facebook is UGC. The gif you shared on Twitter – is UGC!
- Katy Perry has the most number of followers on Twitter – 106 million people,
- She is ‘closely’ followed by Justin Bieber who has 103 million followers.
- Barack Obama has 96.8 million followers …
- The Donald – @realDonaldTrump ‘only’ has 42.6m!
- Selena Gomez almost tops the Instagram Followers list with 129 million followers, second only to Instagram itself who has 227 million followers.
- The most liked picture of all time on Instagram is Beyonce’s twin pregnancy announcement with 11.1 million likes – FOR ONE PHOTO!!
I could go on. This post definitely contains enough fun facts about social media for you to understand the network and maze that is the online world or social media.
We all need to realise that if your business is not on social media yet you really need to “jump on it” or you will be well and truly left behind.