Social media is constantly evolving and the various social media platforms continue to evolve on a daily basis so I pulled together a few fun facts about social media that you may or may not know.
Active Users in Q3 2017:
- Facebook: The number of Facebook users topped the 2 billion mark, it is by far the largest Social Media network on the internet. This is based on the number of users who log in to their account over a 30 day period.
- Instagram: Instagram boasts 800 million users worldwide.
- Twitter: The number of active Twitter users is 330 million people, worldwide.
Who Owns What?
- Facebook owns Facebook Messenger (obviously), Instagram and Whatsapp, and many more.
- Google owns YouTube, Google+, Blogger, amongst others.
- Twitter is owned by a consortium of shareholders.
- Microsoft owns LinkedIn and Skype
- Pinterest is owned by Cold Brew Labs which is run by two of the three founders of Pinterest, Ben Silbermann and Paul Sciarra
- Tumblr is owned by Oath Inc.
- SnapChat is owned by Snap Inc.
Other Random Facts:
- 70% of people access Facebook on their mobile phones (so you better make sure your site is mobile responsive!)
- There are about 350,000 Tweets a minute, worldwide
- 80% of all online content is User Generated Content (UGC)! In case you don’t know what that means: this post is classed as content, and I (the user) generated it; the selfie you took and uploaded to Instagram, is UGC!
- Katy Perry has the most number of followers on Twitter – 106 million people,
- She is ‘closely’ followed by Justin Bieber who has 103 million followers.
- Barack Obama has 96.8 million followers …
- The Donald – @realDonaldTrump ‘only’ has 42.6m!
- Selena Gomez almost tops the Instagram Followers list with 129 million followers, second only to Instagram itself who has 227 million followers.
- The most liked picture of all time on Instagram is Beyonce’s twin pregnancy announcement with 11.1 million likes – FOR ONE PHOTO!!
I could go on, but there are just so many different statistics out there I thought this would be enough fun facts about social media for you to read and to help us all realise that if your business is not on social media yet you really need to jump on it or you will be well and truly left behind. Call me!